Thursday, January 11, 2007

On sleep

As mentioned earlier, I actually read Time Management for System Administrators a while back. I suppose the thing that I found the most useful in the book, (which is packed with lots of goodies by the way) was the emphasis the authors Tim Lemoncelli and Christine Hogan put on sleep. In short, they're right. Gotta get yer sleep folks.

Folks who know me, will attest that this can't be me writing this. The phrase "I hate sleep" is often attributed to me. I mean, think about it. If you live 60 years, and get yer prescribed 8 hours per day, that's 20 years, a relative lifetime, spent in the rack. However, since I now have 5/6ths of that value out of the way now, Things in general would be better off had I actually bought into this concept of having rational sleeping habits.

So, about 4 months back, I actually decided to give it a go, and rack it around 2100 hrs, as I normally get up around 0500. I set my watch to remind me at 2000 and again at 2045, and more often than not, I can now pretty much be in sleep mode by 2100 and, surprise surprise, I actually usually fall asleep. What has this gained me? Well, I haven't tossed my phone against the wall in that entire time. I've also not bothered to refill the zoloft scrip in that time. Now in fairness, I've sorta switched over to L5 HTP, but I don't take nearly as much of that I was taking. And if anything, I'm more level headed. Seems sleep and serotonin levels are related. Gee, whoda thunk it?

No comments: